Saturday 9 February 2013

“The Sound of the Birds is Undoubtedly Connected to Brisbane"

Arturo López comes from the same country that the writers Juan Rulfo, Carlos Fuentes or the international rock band Maná. Probably it’s enough to guess he’s from México, where the gastronomy is inevitably linked to chili, tortilla, guacamole and nachos. But it´s also a place well-known due to the beauty of its beaches, the hospitality of its inhabitants and three most popular drinks: beer, mezcal and tequila. It´s not a bad choice to make friends, but I promise it wasn’t necessary to do this interview.

Q. When did you start planning your trip to Australia?
A. The trip was’nt a new idea since I intended to travel to Australia 5 or 6 years ago. In that moment I was studying at university International Trade and after being graduated I held a Master in Logistics. For that reason I didn´t take my trip until now.

Q. On having United States so close to México, what boosted you to fly so far away from your hometown?
A. I could have decided United States to learn English, it only takes 8 hours by car, or Canada, where I have already been, but I was specially interested in living a different experience which I’m having in Australia. In particular, I chose Brisbane because its population size is closer to Ciudad de Querétaro, where I comes from, than Melbourne. I don´t have a keen interest in living in big cities.

Q. In what way the learning of English will be good in your daily life?
A. Currently English is highly demanded by companies. For instance, I held a bad position in my previous job because I wasn’t able to talk good English.   

Q. Each city has a caracteristic sound to be associated with. Which is the sound of Brisbane?
A. The sound of the birds is undoubtedly connected to Brisbane.

Q. What 5 adjectives define an Australian?
A. I would say they are tolerant, rude, honest, two-faced and sometimes agressive.

Q. Will you be able to suggest a restaurant to eat Mexican food?
A. I recommend Guzmán & Gómez, although it isn´t a traditional place to eat authentic Mexican food.



Q.What´s your favourite pastime?
A. Living in West End I love strolling along the river bank at night while I’m listening music and getting relaxed.

Q. Why would you stay in Australia?
A. I would stay here because this is a country where you can earn good money working a few hours. There is a radical contrast in comparation with México.

Q. What would you love doing before leaving this country?
A. My unresolved matters are to know more Australian people and visit big cities, such as Melbourne, Sydney and Cairns.

Q. Is Australia a country to come back?
A. Not for me, I´m more interested in knowing other countries.




A recommendation
If you want to know the traditional Mexican culture I recommend you to visit the old historical area of México, a unique place to be visited, where emerges the most modern part of the city mixed among historic buildings.  

No comments: