Sunday 9 December 2012

Eaten and Drunk in Australia



I didn't plan to write a post tonight but I drank a glass of milk with ‘Akta Vite’ (see can in the center of the picture) and now I feel full of energy to make a good start referring to australian food, or rather, genuine products which are eaten and drunk in Australia.
When I arrived at Brisbane I decided to try kangaroo burgers because I thought they were a very popular meat. I liked it even though the flavour of australian meat is stronger than spanish meat (except chicken) but a bit later I realised kangaroo meat isn't eaten by many australian people. Probably because, similar to koala, is an australian symbolic animal. Nonetheless, every year many of them are sacrificied to control the population and at same time their meat is sold for human consumption. Personally I prefer kangaroo meat to beef but first and foremost chicken takes first place.
Akta Vite’ is a nutritional chocolate drink which has been made since 1943. It's recommended for expectant and nursing mothers but I didn't know it before buying it. Anyway it contains 8 essential vitamins and minerals. I bought it because I want to keep strong and healthy in this country. And I love cocoa, maybe it will be the understudy of morning coffee.
On the contrary, I bought Vegemite because it was the first Australian product I heard an Australian name. I hate that flavour and honestly I used this yeast extract as if it was butter. At least it's rich in Vitamin B and folate.
The second week I spent in Brisbane I tasted Ginger Beer Cordial. I realized on the first gulp that I didn't like it. After that I started drinking a glass of ginger everyday and now I love citric flavour. You need to know it's a cordial, that is to say, you should mix one part of it with four parts of soda or water unless your throat is prepared for its sweet and strong flavour.
More popular than Ginger Beer i think it´s Lemon Lime and Bitters Cordial. I haven´t tasted it still but I hope to drink it soon (right side in the picture).

No comments: